Friday, January 5, 2007

Being Productive

Two steps required for "success" from a little story I read a while ago:
1. Every morning, write a list of the things that need to be done that day.
2. Do them.

It's an over-simplification, obviously, but it rang true for me. I always have a list of things I want to accomplish, but I've been a procrastinator for a long time. I have a habit of noticing a year later that I didn't do some of the things I had been wanting to do. For example, it took me years to go skydiving from when I first had the inclination to do so. It wasn't due to lack of time, either. I just wasn't prompt about taking the time to focus on that goal to make it happen. So, I've decided to try out a variation of the two steps above.

I'm not much of a morning person, so leaving myself to come up with a list of tasks while I'm still waking up wouldn't be a good idea. The approach I've recently started using is to come up with a list, before I go to bed, of things to get done the next day. I'm not going to be rigid about getting everything done; I've had days already where last-minute plans came up that consumed my night, leaving me with no time to finish my list. I don't see a problem with that; the raison d’ĂȘtre of this list idea is to not let a bunch of idle time pass where I'm not doing much of anything when there are things I want to be doing.

No comments: