Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Getting My Green On

I watched An Inconvenient Truth over the weekend, and it points people to http://www.climatecrisis.net/, which has a page about what you can do at home to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. I went through the list and identified some of their suggestions that were applicable to me. I decided to look into / think about:

  1. Using cold water to wash my clothes. Started doing this.
  2. Switching 100% of my home electricity over to clean, renewable energy. Done.
  3. Installing an insulation blanket around my water heater. It turns out this isn't necessary because I purchased a water heater in the last 5 years, and it's cold to the touch, which is apparently a sign that I wouldn't benefit much from an insulation blanket.
  4. Installing a low-flow shower head in my shower.
  5. Replacing all my regular light bulbs with compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs). I already use some CFLs, but I could do better.
  6. Using a clothes line instead of a dryer. This is how my clothes were dried while I was in China, but I don't think I'm ready to make that a regular habit here.

So, a new shower head and new light bulbs are what I have left to do from my list, and I'm committed to getting those done this month. Doing #2 felt good, and having the option to do that is something I love about Seattle. I'd urge everyone to watch the movie and decide for yourself if you think there's a problem, and if so, whether you are comfortable with your contribution to the solution/problem.

6 comments:

leff said...

We here at chez rakkaleff have quite a few CFLs. But our 'occasional rooms' (kitchen, bathroom) are still mostly old style.

Did your research go in to how well CFL stack up against LED lights? I've been looking around and LED lamps are catching up to CFLs on price. (seen 'em at around $20-25)

I wonder, on an even more technical note, if one is better than another in situations when the light gets turned on and off a lot? I know regular fluorescents are most efficient when they're left on for long times. Wonder if the same is true for CFLs.

Aaron said...

I didn't compare LEDs to CFLs this time. The LED price is typically too high, and I don't have that many lights on usually to justify the cost. CFLs are usually $3-$4, IIRC. I've seen "dusk" LEDs for $15, but the other LED bulbs I've seen have been $35+. That's a good question about efficiency when powering on, but I still would have a hard time justifying the price.

leff said...

are CFLs really that cheap now? Last time I bought them they were at least $10.

Aaron said...

This site has "high lumen bulbs" for $3-$4, though they do go up to $20:

http://www.energyfederation.org/consumer/default.php/cPath/25_44_786

It just depends on how many lumens you want.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
leff said...

OOhh. Nice link.
(sorry about that other comment, logged in with the wrong account)